Tuesday, January 29, 2013

The Carlton and Braddocks - Downtown

Final two stops during Pittsburgh Restaurant Week. I actually ordered both of these places to go because I wasn't feeling to good but I wanted to fit them into my week of tasting, not only for me to try but to advise all of you about the menu's and quality of food.

First, The Carlton, located in the Mellon building. 3 courses - $35. There were a lot of options; my three choices: WILD MUSHROOM CROSTINI, BEEF TENDERLOIN & CAPPUCCINO TORTE.

For the wild mushroom crostini - the mushrooms were sauteed in a Sherry-Garlic Butter and piled over grilled Crostini with Feta Cheese and Basil Oil. I will only say this once...anything good cold is equally good, if not better, warm. This crostini was very, very good. The feta and the basil oil were a great pairing to the wild mushrooms.

Next up, Beef Tenderloin. Broiled to a perfect medium-rare and served with an Herbed Risotto Cake, Wild Mushroom Ragout, Vegetable Medley, Cabernet Glaze and crumbled Blue Cheese. Perfectly cooked, well-rested as to not lose the juices and the side pairing was delicious.

Finally, the cappuccino torte. This dessert was divine. Only thing missing, a scoop of vanilla ice cream!

Final stop on my culinary journey through Pittsburgh Restaurant Week - Braddock's, located in the Renaissance Hotel.

Three courses - $30. Starter - Mushroom/Applewood Smoked Bacon Pierogies. For a to-go order, they were a little over cooked, but I am sure if they were fresh, they would be good. Have you noticed a pattern and my love for mushrooms!

SECOND COURSE - Petite Filet, Gouda Smoked Scalloped Potatoes, and Roasted Root Vegetables. Filet, of course, medium rare and for Braddock's not typically a steakhouse, the steak was tender, well-seasoned and cooked perfectly. I love Gouda cheese and the potatoes were soft and creamy and gone very quickly!

THIRD COURSE - Apple Crisp with Vanilla Bean Ice Cream. Great crisp and soft apples, but the only flaw would be that were wasn't enough ice cream! I'm not really a fan of hot/baked fruit. But there is something about apple crisp and vanilla ice cream that is sooo delicious and comforting. Braddock's was probably my favorite of them all. I can't wait to try it when the food is not in to-go containers! Definite worth the trip back - to both places!

1 comment:

  1. The Carlton is one of the regular places we take summer associates, and I find it's always a pleasure to have lunch there. The lunch is always a little decadent and a lot delicious, it's a nice indulgence to have something so fancy in the middle of the day.

    I haven't been to Braddock's for a meal, but they served their short rib pierogies at the Summer Restaurant Week cookoff party, and they were DIVINE. The recipe for those is also included in the eatPGH Food Lover's Guide to Pittsburgh. Those pierogies alone are totally worth a trip to Braddocks.

    ReplyDelete