Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Las Velas Mexican Restaurant

Holaaa,

     When I was in Queens, New York visiting friends, I experienced the best, most authentic steak tacos this side of the border. Very simple with a bold flavor; corn tortillas, onion, cilantro, spicy sauce and marinated steak. So I headed to Las Velas Mexican Restaurant located in Market Square. Now, I have been to El Campesino and Emiliano's and, while they claim to specialize in authentic Mexican food, they both are more of chain restaurants and I was looking for more of a straight from across the border flavor.  Boy, was I not disappointed.

     Not only was the food amazing but the service was very accomodating. For one thing, I did not get there until 9:45pm and they close at 10pm. To be polite, I wasn't going to stay but they were adamant that it was perfectly fine and that the kitchen was still open. I sat at the bar and began reading the menu. There were so many options but I knew that I wanted to try the tortilla soup and hopefully find tacos that rivaled the taco vendor from Queens.

     The tortilla soup. I am in love with the tortilla soup from Max 'N Erma's; its creamy and hearty and just the right spicy. But, Las Velas tortilla soup is the complete opposite. It is broth based and light but the tortilla strips were crispy, it has just the right spice and there was chunks of avocado. Delicioso!!!


     The tacos. I ordered the Tacos De Arrachera: A must try! Three tacos with marinated hanger steak (a special cut), onions and cilantro, and salsa (mild or hot). Served with rice or beans. Aside from no homemade spicy sauce, this is exactly what I was looking for. The flavor profile was the exact same; soft corn tortillas, juicy, flavorful steak and fresh, crisp onions and cilantro. The extra bonus with Las Velas; you not only get three of these wonderful tacos but also a heaping serving of soft, Spanish rice. It took me immediately back to the taco truck that was parked on the side of Queens Boulevard.  Also, the added lime wedge really brings out the flavor in the steak and I don't even like limes.


     
     The Quesadillas. Traditional cheese Quesadilla with chicken. Served with lettuce, pico de gallo, guacamole and sour cream. This Quesadilla was huge and was stuffed to the gills. It was cheesy and meaty all at the same time. The fresh, homemade salsa and guacamole paired amazingly with each bite of the Quesadilla. With the portion size of this selection, you will not go home hungry but maybe with yummy leftovers.


     So, if you're looking for the flavors from south of the border, Las Velas is where it's at. 'Til next time, adios amigos!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment