Saturday, July 7, 2012

The Modern Cafe

The North Side of Pittsburgh is really making a comeback.  The Modern Cafe re-opened in April 2010 and has been a local favorite to customers since. It's updated and provides a great escape from the outside stressors. From beers to a full food menu, its a great spot to just have lunch, a beer or catch any sporting game.

I just went there yesterday with my friends for lunch, now I have been there a few other times and have not been disappointed. Recently, The Modern Cafe won Runner-Up for the Best Sandwich in the North side - The Spartan.


Here are the details: Steak, Gyro meat, Provolone & Feta cheese, onions, tomato slices with our special steak seasoning & dressing topped with tzatziki sauce on a 6” hoagie. Now, my co-worker that got this sandwich, does not like the tzatziki sauce so he opted for balsamic vinegar. Still, very good. The balsamic was very flavorful and not too oily to make the bread soggy. However, my only complaint would be that the bread was toasted a little too long. I don't really like hard bread. Losing only to a grilled cheese sandwich from The Bistro to go, it is definitely a worthy contender in the sandwich world beating out sandwiches such as the Roethlisberger from Peppi's.

I decided to get the Turkey Extreme with egg; and, if you know me, I add egg to every sandwich. Here are the details for this great sandwich: Roast Turkey, Cheddar cheese, coleslaw, lettuce and tomato on Wheat (hot or cold). I opted for white bread.



Anything on the menu is tasty though. Even if your just going in for a drink, you will have a great experience. The owners are very friendly and love to talk to everyone and are very excited about their space. They truly want you to love your experience and will attempt to make that possible. The Modern Cafe should be your next stop for a great sandwich and experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment