Friday, March 8, 2013

Luke Wholey's - Strip District

Hi All,

So I went here for my friend, Jason's 30th birthday. In theory, it was a completely great idea; however, in reality - EPIC FAIL. I really wanted this place to be good but it just wasn't. Don't get me wrong the atmosphere is fabulous and I will definitely return for drinks, especially in the warmer months as they have garage doors that open to the outside but I don't think that I will return for the food.

First, service. The staff was incredibly slow. Knowing that a party of 10-12 has been reserved, you would think that they assigned the right number of staff members. For example, we were supposed to have our own bartender - did not happen and we had one guy, who seemed like it was his first night. I felt bad for him but all those little kinks should have been worked out. It took 30-35 minutes for one drink so, like if we were at a crowded bar, ordered multiple at a time. And, the dining room wasn't bust at all. Moreover, the waiter not only spilled a glass of red wine on the birthday boy's jacket but then tartar sauce on his fiance's jacket and scarf all while having stains of his own on his white shirt.

Second, food. My friend, Katie, ordered oysters to be brought out once everyone arrived and they did. There were two different kinds, regular and Japanese. I am not an oyster fan; however, I did attempt both flavors. The regular I couldn't get down and the Japanese were a little firmer, like a mussel, and tasted like the beach. Not bad! My friend, Katharine ordered Cajun grilled peel and eat shrimp. These had great flavor but I am biased to peel and eat shrimp because it takes work to get to the food, ha! Now the entrees....the fish and chips and the shrimp po' boy were really good along with the blackened Ahi Tuna sandwich. If I were ever to go back for lunch or dinner, these would be the dishes that I would consider getting. The lobster roll was sub-par. If you're craving that, head to Roland's. I got the shrimp and scallops over rice with a side of zucchini. The shrimp and the scallops were pretty good but the rice was drowned in soy sauce and the zucchini shavings, although sprinkled with parmesean cheese out of a canister, had no flavor at all. Overall, not good.

If you like oysters, this is a cool spot! Also, like I mentioned above, in the warmer months the atmosphere will be awesome for casual or formal drinks! Let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment